All the following statements and more can be found at this website.
- The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States.
- Cape Hatteras is the largest lighthouse ever to be moved due to erosion problems.
- The first English colony in America was located on Roanoke Island. Walter Raleigh founded it. The colony mysteriously vanished with no trace except for the word "Croatoan" scrawled on a nearby tree.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem.
- The Venus Fly-Trap is native to Hampstead.
- Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914.
- The first English child born in America was born in Roanoke in 1587. Her name was Virginia Dare.
- Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898.
- James K. Polk, born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, was the eleventh President of the United States.